Gilgamesh

1. Gilgamesh’s call to adventure is when he goes searching for the Plant of Eternal Youth. One of his challenges is when he trying to stay awake for a week. Also he must go through challenges before he gets to the end of the story. For example, he tries to stay awake for a week.
  2. I do think that that the Four Functions of Mythology are active in the story of Gilgamesh. There is a mystery throughout the whole poem because the language is different and the poem is in verses not full sentences. The Gods that are in the poem add the element of the function of mythology that talks about needing an explanation of our universe.
  3. Although Gilgamesh did not get the Plant of Everlasting Life he did gain a person. What I mean by that is he was able to figure out who he was along his journey. He also gained maturity. At the beginning he was very childish and then by the end he realizes how childish he was and how he didn’t treat people right. I think that knowing who you truly are is much better than eternal youth.

2 thoughts on “Gilgamesh

1. emrickrachel

Speaking of explaining the universe, I found it interesting how the Sumerians explained many if the functions of the earth. In the introduction to the story, there was something that said we can recognize the names of Greek gods even if we haven’t read any Greek mythology, but we are not accustomed to Sumerian gods. This story was very fascinating to me in that respect.

1. swtrinchet

I was so interested in who was a full god and who was a god-like being. Much like Heracles being a god-like being but very much human too, Gilgamesh walked that line between the two. Our fascination with those beings has lasted to this day. For example, Eragon, in the Inheritance trilogy, is transformed into a sort of god-like being. This is all through sci-fi and fantasy because it seems to be deeply connected to something almost universal.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *